Saturday, June 28, 2008

Just a train ride away

Florence. Day 3.

Up early to get on the eurostar train. They tell us what platform and I feel like I should be in a harry potter movie. Oh wait, wrong place. Oops. ;) After a 20 minute delay which they apologized for over the PA, which is surprising cause airlines, would never EVER do that. Get on and we are riding 1st class so we don’t have to be with those lower class folks. Haha. JK.2 hours later we arrive in Firenze which is Florence, which is part of the Tuscany region. Just to give you an idea. The train ride was nice but hard to take photos as its going like a 180mph. It’s the newest and fasted train in Italy. Hooray for us.

Just a 7minute cab ride and swearing in and out of traffic and riding close to mopeds and people we are at our hotel. The Hotel Bretagna. Well, there aren’t many elevators here. They are called lifts. This one was quite interesting and took a bit to figure it all out. You have to call it down. Open one door manually, Push open another door, squeeze in with your luggage and then push a button. Now you can open the door to make it stop anywhere… of course I did. I’ve done a lot of things on this trip I shouldn’t have. Haha. Then being a silly American, I realized that its not automatically going to open for me. Haha. Done that plenty of times prior.

Check in. Well they screwed up and so the parents get the master suite. I go to my room and its the size of a closet. I’ve never seen such a dump of a room. You need a regular key to get in and to lock it. So at night I have to lock from the inside. All the beds so far are hard as a rock. I sleep on my side so its quite difficult to sleep. And the bathroom, I now see what they call it a WC, watercloset. Cause its smaller than a closet. I can barely sit on the toilette normal. I refuse to use the shower. I just go up to my parents to use the shower. Next time I get the upgrade. Age or not.:)

So, since we arrive early we dump our luggage off and head out. We have an appointment to get into the Uffzzi Gallery at 2pm. So we grab a bite to eat. Head over there. They have the Birth of Venus there. Most people would recognize it from the Adobe Illustrator program. Its quite a great work of art. The gallery features mostly renassaice paintings. Not to bad. Small though but after a while they all look the same and I started to get bored. However, the artists back then had some crazy issues. Lots of death, murder, centaurs, and naked babies err cherubs in them. There was one where it was a 2 parter. Had a small group of women hovering over a man who was missing his head and he was naked. Then the other one was 2 women, one walking with a platter on her head and the head of the dead guy and the other one walking like, “ha, you fucked with the wrong woman you bastard” type of look on her face. Another one where it had kids pissing into a river, one boy one girl. Just really weird stuff. Here I thought the artists of my century had issues. Well its been going on for centuries apparently.



No comments: