Friday, June 27, 2008

Day 1- Learning Italian 101

I wake up early like a kid going to Disney. The flight leaves at 1215p but getting picked up at 10am. I'm repacking again and again to make sure I get it done right. I've never traveled to Europe so I am hoping I do it right and don't forget anything to important. I packed an extra set of clothes in my carry on JUST IN CASE.

Get to the airport to find out you need to check in for the international flight. oops. I was wrong thinking it would be done in NY. D'oh. No biggie, we checked in online so just need to reconfirm the passport.

Everything is on time. good sign. The plane to NY JFK was easy. Even exit row with movable arms. SCORE. The ride to Italy. No so score. crammed and I believe the seats were smaller and shorter. Note to self. Get 1st class earliest before its overbooked.

Land in Venice. All luggage accounted for. Sweet!

Get a taxi... understands we need the hotel nothing else. The traffic is just as bad as Sofla. However they have different vehicles. The scenery is nothing different so far. Hell we even got flicked off in Italian. Ah. just like home.

Get to the hotel, this is where the language barrier starts. Luckily I did deep for my early years of spanish and make it enough to pay the right euros and even a tip.

Drop off luggage, change to shorts and head to Venice waterways. We are staying just outside so its cheaper. MUCH cheaper. Once again, the language makes it difficult to even find where we start to walk to find the bus. Apparentely, not alot of people speak English. Finally get to the bus, and to Venice. Wow. Its simply amazing. SPot the gondolas. Now the adventure really starts.

Trying to find a watertaxi and figure out what we are to do with it. Find one that is 80 euros for 3 people and one that is 39EU. Whats the difference. Dammit. Go for the cheaper one. I want adventure. haha. Ok. soon discover the cheaper one is truly a water BUS. (say it in italian speak...water.. BOOs..) hehe. Find out it goes through the Grand canal. Yay. Free tour. it really is spectacular. Old. Pretty. and the statues are really neat. Its hard to imagine there are no motorvehicles on this little island. Though with all the boats i'm sure they go through just as much fuel.

WOW. they have a guggenheim. note to self: visit the museum. The artwork on the buildings is amazing. Arrive in San Marco Square. Follow the crowd to the hopefully right direction. Tons of painters, and nicknack items to walk through before you get their. Not sure if ii should get a oil painting. hrm. Maybe later. But i guess you talk these guys down also. Yay. I love doing that.

Arrive in the famous san marco square. The Basilica is here and a few other things. One of the most spectacular buildings I've ever seen. Such detail. The marble is breathtaking. The time that was spent was done with love and being feared of whipped to death. Who knows but it is truly amazing. I've never seen such detail. And to know that its so old 11th century I believe.

There are so many pigeons. They play a game amongst themselves. its "lets see who can swoop down the closest to those silly humans". I swear they are going to use my head to lift off more from. Its crazy. You'll see in some pics that they are always close.

Mom and dad are resting so of course I'm venturing. I am getting better with the one-arm single shot. Though the pictures won't show how truly amazing the detail. I also think the basilica is made out of gold in most places. It looks that way.

THere is just so much here. We tour the basilica. Its free. Unlike the 8EU coke. Atleast the cans look cool. Oh and for those who don't know what the exchange rate is its for every dollar is 1.66EU. You do the math on what was just paid for a can of coke! hehe. So back to the church. Its amazing. Yes I got emotional. Not because I'm religious but its finally hitting me where I'm at. (as I type this I finally get to hear the sound of sirens on a ambulance) The church is amazing. Pay to see the relics. Well, it was 3EU and i was curious. They had a tooth, an femur, a backbone, a jawbone, and a little hand. Yes a freakin hand. OK> I'm creeped out enough. Time to move on. What a bunch of weirdos. I have no idea who or what for but creepy.

Move on to shopping. Well looking. Lots of glass but holding out for murano first. Beautiful though.

So we decide that, ok i decide that i want to venture more. Hop on a waterbus and go to what is said to be the best place to see a sunset. Harry's Dolci. Well take the wrong bus again. I'll get the hang of it. Jump off walk more. Jump on the right way. Well need to hope off again. Walk a few blocks to catch a another one to Pancheco. Get over there after walking the wrong direction. I'm notorious for that. Get there and they dont open for 1.5 hours. DAMMIT. So have a drink. Relax in a/c. Which is very uncommon to have around here. Its like 88 degrees with humidity BTW. Its just like FLA. Only hotter and you are walking instead of driving in a/c. Clothes soaked but having really cared except for the fact that I've drank about 4 water bottles. haha. So we decide to go across since dad thinks its going to be a better sunset since it'll be behind the buildings. Finally get to eat real italian food. I'm game and friggin starved. I order lasagna. It was delicioso. Mom some lobster thing, and dad steak. Steak was good and tender.

No comments: